Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Portraits

Portraits have always been an interest for me but I have devoted my art time to my favorite subject of landscapes. I have enjoyed studying the portrait lately. Below are a few studies I have done from copying other artist or photographs. Click on any image to see a larger view.


The above portrait rendered in watercolor is from a photograph. The pencil drawing below is also from a photograph. I changed the color to from grey graphite to sepia in Photoshop. It is a lot warmer.


The below portrait is a study of an oil painting by Andrew Loomis. I rendered it in Watercolor.


Below is a pencil portrait I did from a reference I found. I colorized it in PS.


Pencil portrait study with an Google Android sepia photo filter. Study of the human skull and anatomy is important to draw portraits I am learning.




Below is a profile portrait study. I like the challenge of drawing a subject "correctly". Drawn on mixed media paper with a vellum surface.



The following watercolor portrait I did on 140 lb. cold press Arches paper. It is from a photograph.



Below is a pencil drawing I did from a photo I found. There is a lot of pencil graphite on this drawing.

This pencil portrait, below, is a pencil study I did of one of John Singer Sargent's portraits. I always learn from these studies.


Below is another pencil portrait study from a black and white photo I found on the the web. Portrait drawing is very challenging  because you have to LEARN about construction of the head. But it is fun and relaxing for me.


I penciled the portrait below in 2018 from a photo my wife cut out of a magazine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment